LIFE | Keeping Creative.

11:00 am


You'd think as a photography and film student, I'd be creative often enough, but really, it's just stressful. I think anyone who studies something they love will tell you- uni/college takes the fun out of it!



I love taking photos. I've loved taking photos since I stole my dads Kodak brick a the age of 10, and I will love it when we can take photographs with our minds at the age of 100 (is someone developing this yet?). But with briefs, and outlines, criteria, and boundaries, and god knows what else governing every single project I do I need a way to escape the stress. 



Keeping a 'visual dairy' or an art journal is my number one way I keep my creative juices flowing. At the moment, I'm working full time at a burger restaurant (I like to refer to myself as a 'burger artist' or 'milkshake wizard' rather than a waitress though...) so I can feel my brain cells melt every single time I say "Would you like to make that a meal deal?", so it certainly helps in keeping me sane. I would love to organise shoots and spend all day photographing, but I just don't have the time to.


If I have a spare 20 minutes I pull out my mini-moleskine and get doodling, paining, pasting, cutting and sticking. I probably do this more during the summer than I do during term time, mostly because standing around all day asking people if they would "like to make it a meal deal?" gives me a lot of time to think of new ideas. 





When I can't get the idea train running, but I wan't to get my creative juices flowing I turn to Keri Smith's Wreck This Journal. Wreck This Journal is exactly how it sounds: It's a journal who's pages contain prompts to get you creative. It gets you breaking the spine, drawing all over the edges of the book, ripping pages out amongst many other things.



Sometimes, I just can't be bothered getting all my craft stuff out, or I fancy getting creative away from my flat,  for this, I use Wreck This App! This is the app version of the book, so if you prefer to sit down with your phone/tablet than an endless supply of crafty bits, then this may be better for you. It's cheaper and won't cost you anything supply wise and you can do it on the bus without everyone thinking you're a loon! (I realise this sounds like an advert for the Wreck This series; I wasn't sponsored I swear, I just really love these books!)



Keeping creative is important, especially if you find yourself spending your days doing something you don't enjoy. I know for me I find it super stressful to spend every day doing the same thing over and over, so breaking up my routine is essential for keeping my sanity!


What do you do to keep yourself stress free and full of creativity?

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. I agree with uni taking the fun out of something you love! I also do photography but with all the deadlines it's just become a chore. I bought this book as well, but my pages definitely do not look as good as yours! :)
    Rachel
    VintageDeer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Always jumping through hoops rather than doing something you want to do.
      Haha, funny enough, I chose to showcase my more... not crap pages! They're mostly a mess, but its fun and thats what really matters.

      Delete
  2. Had my eye on the Wreck This Journal for so long now, sounds like an idea way to wind down after work :) I love the cosmic unicorn you've done in your Moleskine!
    Megan x
    MeganRoisinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's brilliant, honestly. And it's not serious. Like, you can pop yourself in front of the TV and just go for it, it doesn't take all your brain power.
      Thank you, took an absolute age cutting the unicorn out!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Love me a good mythological creature haha

      Delete

I read and reply to every single comment, I would really love it if you left one!