REVIEW | Jerome Russell Platinum Blonde Toner

10:30 am



Before realising that I could use Sally's own brand bleach and peroxide for much cheaper, I would religiously use the Jerome Russell bleach sachets and peroxide to get my mousy-blonde locks to the old-lady shade of white I desire, so when I saw they also offered a toner, I couldn't resist checking it out.

Jerome Russell Platinum Blonde Toner cost me £2.99 from Savers, so it was cheap as chips (much like most things in that shop!). I know I've seen it in Boots as well recently, but I could not find it online so it may have been discontinued? It's a small bottle, but I have fairly thick, shoulder length hair and it more than covered it. 

Like most white or silver toners I've tried, it's purple. Unlike most others I've tried, it has a very jelly-like consistency. I started by applying it to my roots, then spread it throughout my hair. It foamed up and seemed to spread really easily. You're to put a plastic cap (aka a carrier-bag) over your head and apply heat for 5 mins, but be careful not to hold the hairdryer in the same spot for too long as you will burn yourself! I followed the instructions down to the T, minus accidentally getting too distracted by Netflix and leaving it on an extra 10 mins, and I have to say, I was not all that happy with the result.



As you can see, there is a difference, just not a very big one. I'm still left with a fairly yellow scalp and will have to re-tone with something else. A bit disappointing, especially from a brand who's actual bleach products I find to work so well.  For the last few months I've been using a DIY toner (a dab of violet dye and a whole load of cheap-o conditioner) and it has been getting it a lot more white (admittedly, with bits of lilac. I would stick to this method if it more consistent)

This cost just less than my violet dye did, however, this is only good for one use, whereas I've been diluting my one pot for over a year now. So all in all, I feel like I've wasted my money.

If you're looking for a quick refresh, or your hair is a darker shade than mine, then there is a good change this will work for you. But if you're looking to mimic your grannies hair, then look else where.


& so the search for the perfect white toner continues.
Have you got any white-haired-wonder recommendations for me?


You Might Also Like

1 comments

I read and reply to every single comment, I would really love it if you left one!