D.I.Y | Colour coded keys

5:02 pm

Basically, I have too many keys. I never know which one is for which, despite the face I've had these keys for over a year, I still get them mixed up. To stop myself looking like a bit of a spoon, I colour coded mine (and they look pretty too!).

Here's how I did it if you fancy doing it too;

I used nail varnish/polish to paint my keys. So first off, I chose my colours. I went for pastel shades as thats mainly what my nail varnish collection consist of (I don't have much, as I can't wear it at work because I work with food).



I popped some newspaper down and taped my design onto the key. I taped a wee triangle shape onto this key, covering the areas I didn't want painted. I had to do 2-3 coats of nail polish per key, make sure you leave each coat to dry before applying another or you will end up with a gloopy mess!
Once you're happy with one side, and it's completely dry you can pop it over and paint the other side if you want to.



For this one, I just taped off the 'key' part of the key. I'd recommend not getting it on that part as I had trouble using my "splash" style keys (below) and had to take bits of the polish off.



I hope you've got some inspiration from this. Loads of people have commented to me on how 'funky' they looked, so I thought I would share. 

Let me know if any of you guys decide to do anything similar!



You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I should so do this aswell, why didn't i think of it before! Thanks for the tip :)

    Claire does beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so handy when you're in a rush! I have a load of work keys that look the same, so I did it to them so now I'm never stood outside a stockroom for 5 mins just working out which key lets me in!

      Simple but affective :D

      x

      Delete

I read and reply to every single comment, I would really love it if you left one!